Friday, September 10, 2010

Favorite Sweater.....344 days to go

Another sad event occured in my closet....one of my favorite sweaters got a HOLE in it. Right on the, erm, boob area. Which is really odd because I have one of the smallest chests in the world (true story). So...it isn't like I stretched it out so much that it GAVE UP. So, the sweater was either..

a) suicidal. (rare for a sweater) or...
b) not made as well as I thought it was....

So, what to do? I can replace socks and undies, per my rules, but I can't replace Dearest Green Sweater (its legal name....). And I am not a knitter/crocheter/yarn-worker, etc. So, I am gonna have to try to repair the sweater on my own, somehow. I CANNOT go through the winter without my sweet, darling sweater. I just can't (well, I could, but for drama's sake, I am saying that I can't do it..) I dunno if I want to document this repair job because it's gonna be touch n' go...because, like I said, I am definitely not a sweater repair expert. Any advice would be appreciated!!

I'm gonna go have some more wine and ponder my sad, broken sweater. All in all, sounds like a really fun evening! :) Have a great weekend all!!

11 comments:

  1. I understand your delima--I have a long sleeved sweater shirt developing a hole too, but I don't want to give it up either! Let us know what you do to fix the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noes! I hope your sweater shirt recovers as well. Do you want me to post my fix if it involves duct tape? Lol:) Because it really might:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, here's my idea. Find the thread that frayed (or.. broke) and tie them off to the nearest non-broken part. Find a lovely broach/button/patch. Attach over said.. Boob-tastrophy. If it's like.. nipple area. You may have a worse problem than I thought ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, you are too funny Alicia! Boob-tastrophy:). The problem is it is right, smack dab, BETWEEN the "ladies." Like, it is centered exactly. But I will evaluate the possibilities..I could just wear a necklace that hangs down over it, and try not to move...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get several patches and sew them scattered across the front of the sweater?

    http://www.purplemoon.com/patches/patches-flora.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could pinch and cinch, like bundle up the fabric. It all really depends on the sweater. Get creative! Favorites articles are too precious to let go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you ought to tie off those broken pieces of yarn and then get some pretty ribbon and run it through on either side of the hole(with a yarn needle) and once you get the two ends in front, tie them in a bow over the hole. Act authoritative when you wear it and folks will think the look is all the rage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One word. Bedazzle. Embrace the sparkly items, and make that sweater really work it. Sparkly! You can even spell out your name. In sparkly heart rhinestones. Classy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I knew who posted the bedazzle comment:) Because it is awesome! I dunno if I will do that here, but, I do know the power of the bedazzler. I'll consider the boob bow...but I am afraid that may send the wrong message:). I should post a pic of the sweater for more advice, I appreciate all I've gotten here:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, instead of the bow, you could just fold the "fabric" over the hole, stitching from behind, then install a piece of elastic (stitch it stretched, so a pucker occurs when it's unstretched)behind that, attaching it only to the folded-back section of sweater (the part that contains the hole). That would just give you that "puckered fabric centered on the bustline" look that so many tops have now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that you could simply stitch up the hole, and then find a beautiful applique to sew over it, and on other parts of the sweater. It would give the sweater a retro look and feel, and solve your problem as well. You can often find good sales in clearance at Joann's or Hobby Lobby.

    ReplyDelete